Indian students are always enterprising. With their keenness to explore new frontiers, they have embraced ‘Overseas Education’ strongly. Especially in the past decade, the number of Indian students going abroad to study has increased tremendously.
It will be exciting to note that India has sent the largest number of students to the USA, even during 2007-08, which makes this seventh year in a row. We have been sending the largest number of students from 2001-02 onwards. 94,563 students from India went to the USA during 2007-08
To UK, India has sent 23,835 students in 2007-08, which is only second to China.
For Australia, 63,604 Indian students went during 2007, which again is next only to China.
In other words, India is in the top two positions in sending its students to top destinations the world over.
What do they get out of an opportunity like this? Well there are, actually, many advantages that the Indian youth perceive in a foreign school experience.
There could be hundreds of reasons why a student would want to Study Abroad and we have listed some of the most important ones here
Gain a global perspective and broaden your horizons by experiencing the various cultures of the world.
- Cultivate a global network of social contacts.
- Improve your social and communication skills.
- Develop independence and acquire proficient problem- solving skills.
- Learn new technology and explore new concepts and ideas.
- Become a more well- rounded individual primed for better prospects.
- Become a global citizen.
Students are attracted to technological nations such as USA, UK and Australia, where they look forward to a different experience as well as better job prospects. The academic programs that these nations offer are excellent and you will benefit from any one of them immensely. Here are some attractive qualities of these academic programs that you should take into consideration.
- Some programs give you the opportunity to interact directly with some of the finest minds in their chosen traditional/professional disciplines.
Others may give you a chance to gain work experience thereby improving your job prospects for example sandwich programs etc.
Different universities will have different teaching styles. While some focus more on exams, others may consist of lots of group work and module assignments. You can choose the university that best suits your learning style.
- There are universities that are flexible in their courses and in their modules. If you are one of those people who is not sure this would be a great option for you. The university will allow you to change in the first month.
- You will have the opportunity to develop strong relationships with your faculty and fellow students as you work and learn from both.
- There is an emphasis on imparting practice-oriented education. This generates valuable employment-related skills in you as a student.
- The avenues for interdisciplinary research and training are better explored in the west than in India.
The predominant principles and practices of the system for higher education abroad have something for everyone from even the most diverse walks of life.
The points mentioned above are just some benefits of the academic opportunities abroad. There are, in fact, many more.
Our Technological World
We are living in a world where information is accessed and shared in nanoseconds. The better connectivity translates directly into a competitive edge. Whatever your field of study, most universities abroad equip you with the latest technology. You will use their technology to obtain and process both subject-specific and general information. On these lines, many universities abroad remain unmatched. The technological skills that you obtain will open doors for you in the job market.
Your Social Life
Most universities abroad provide you with a whole set of extra-curricular activities that you can choose to do. If you are a person who is very interested in sports, for example, you will find that some universities have excellent sport facilities that you can benefit from. Other people may be attracted to theatre, or music facilities. Some of you may want to join a university in an urban area which will provide you with entertainment, shopping and cultural facilities whereas others may be attracted to a rural area university. All in all, universities abroad provide a rich variety of activities as part of their campus life. These factors add a unique dimension to your educational and cross-cultural experience.
The Value of Adapting
As a foreigner in a different nation you will learn to adapt to a culture that is completely different from yours. As globalization is on the rise companies are looking to spread internationally. They will value the skills that you gain from adapting to a different culture.
Choosing Your University
Here are some factors that will affect your choice in universities
- Academic experience
- Tuition expenditure
- Cost of living
- Cultural encounters
- Internship opportunities
- Work Permit access in the study destination you choose after completing the studies
- Career aspirations
- Available options for study
- Permanent residency options upon graduation